For Extron Prices, please contact our Technical Sales Team on +00 44 (0)1202 872771 or email us at email@example.com
The SMP 352 is a high performance streaming and recording processor for capturing and distributing AV sources and presentations as live streaming or recorded media. It can create independent recordings from two different sources, and incorporates Extron"™s FlexOS®, a flexible platform for automating system operation. The SMP 352 accepts HDMI, component, composite, and optional 3G-SDI signals and applies two-window processing to selected sources. It can record and stream simultaneously and can stream at two different resolutions and bit rates concurrently using a range of transport protocols and session management options. With no licensing fees and comprehensive control and configuration features, the SMP 352 is a cost-effective, integration-friendly solution for delivering presentations to a larger audience.
The SMP 352 dual recording feature creates independent recordings from two different video sources with independent archive stream settings for each channel. Users can choose to create a single layout for simultaneous streaming and recording, or create synchronized recordings and streams of two video channels with the dual recording feature. A confidence stream provides a composite of two video sources to monitor both channels from a single stream. The SMP 352 also has advanced audio DSP features for level control, filtering, and dynamics, as well as streaming presets that increase functionality and provide a simplified workflow.
Extron"™s FlexOS embedded operating system makes the SMP 352 highly adaptable to new system requirements, and Extron applications can be uploaded to the SMP 352 to automate system operation using control ports. The SMP 352 is complemented by Extron Streaming Content Manager - SCM software. SCM is a server-based software for managing users and access rights for recordings produced by the SMP 352. SCM also processes the recorded media into file packages that provide a data-rich playback experience using the Extron Media Player - EMP, a browser-based media player that can be operated from virtually any computer or mobile device.
Flexible Signal Support
The SMP 352 processes two high resolution AV sources from up to five available connections. One of two HDMI signals can be selected from Channel A along with analog or HDMI-embedded stereo audio. Channel A also provides a loop through HDMI and audio connection, which can be passed directly to a presentation display. Channel B inputs support common camera formats including composite, component HD, and HDMI. A second model, the SMP 352 3G?SDI, accepts serial digital video signals supplied by cameras and other professional video sources. The Channel A and B input connections both support computer-video formats from 640x480 to 1920x1200, and video formats from 480p to 1080p/60. They can be switched live during a presentation.
Effective Multi-Window Processing
The SMP 352 offers highly flexible source presentation options. The Channel A and B input signals can be presented on the output individually at full screen or together in any two-window display arrangement including side-by-side. Up to sixteen customized window presets can be prepared, combining the Channel A and B inputs with a PNG background image and metadata. These flexible, multi-source processing features makes it easy to recreate the live presentation experience. They also provide viewers with greater insight into the event"™s context, facilitating interpretation and retention of the information presented.
AV Recording with Enhanced Data
The SMP 352 produces an MP4 (M4V) container format, which is compatible with virtually any media player. It records at 480p, 720p, or 1080p resolutions, supporting a variety of quality, storage, and playback requirements. Recordings can include metadata with information such as: Title, Creator, Subject, Description, Publisher, Contributor, and Date, which makes searching, indexing, and managing multiple recordings more efficient. Set chapter marks during recording sessions for highly efficient searching and scanning during file playback. JPEG thumbnail images are captured periodically and for specially marked events. Thumbnail image size is selectable in order to meet the needs of the recording environment. Extron SCM software processes the thumbnail images, chapter marks, and metadata produced during impromptu recording sessions into playback packages for the EMP. The combination of two high resolution AV signals, a background image, on-screen data, metadata, thumbnail images, and chapter marks make navigation and playback of SMP 352 recordings from the EMP highly efficient and effective.
MP4 recordings can be saved to internal solid state storage, a USB storage device, or a defined network storage directory. USB storage devices connect easily to the SMP 352 from the front or rear panel. The approximate capacity in hours for a 32 GB thumb drive, the SMP 352 internal solid state storage and a 1 TB network drive is presented in the table below. Hours of storage capacity are calculated for video bit rates from 1 Mbps to 10 Mbps plus 192 kbps for audio.
Extensive Streaming Capabilities
The SMP 352 offers extensive streaming capabilities. It can stream concurrently with a recording session at two different resolutions and bit rates from 512x288 to 1080p/30. High resolution, high bit rates can be used to deliver superior quality, presenting video on large screens in overflow applications, while a lower bit rate and resolution can be used for streaming distribution or confidence viewing applications. Streaming bit rates can range from 200 kbps to 10 Mbps for video and 16 kbps to 384 kbps for audio. Both push and pull streaming sessions are supported, offering a range of streaming transport protocols and session management methods. This range of capabilities provides the flexibility to stream from the SMP 352 to a variety of devices in different system configurations and network conditions.
Signal Processing Simplifies Source Management
Like many other Extron AV products, the SMP 352 offers comprehensive digital and analog signal processing features that make interfacing presentation sources easy. EDID Minder® automatically manages EDID communications to ensure sources power up properly and a reliable output signal is provided. Intelligent HDCP-compliant signal management passes encrypted signals to HDCP-compliant connected displays, while presenting a green screen with HDCP message on encoded media sent to non-compliant displays. All signal switching produces clean transitions, with no distracting visual jumps, glitches, or distortion that would distract from recordings and live streaming. Auto-Image„¢ automatically adjusts source sizing, centering, and filtering and Auto Input Memory saves the size, position, and picture settings of incoming signals, ensuring that sources present properly. Comprehensive picture controls and aspect ratio controls produce quality and accuracy for every application.
Highly Adaptable FlexOS Platform
FlexOS is Extron"™s flexible, embedded operating system that manages and controls functional systems within the SMP 352. FlexOS makes the SMP 352 easily-adaptable to new requirements over time for a multitude of streaming, recording, processing, control, and presentation applications. A number of Extron applications are available for uploading to the SMP 352 that help automate various system operations via the control ports.
Flexible System Control Options
Many different control capabilities are available from the SMP 352. The front panel buttons and LCD display provide a simple interface to manage, configure, monitor, and control the unit for a wide variety of applications. The SMP 352 also features an RS?232 port that interfaces with serial devices and control systems and the Ethernet port provides an additional control interface. Using Extron FlexOS programs installed on the SMP 352, specific presentation, streaming, and recording scenarios can be automated using four digital I/O ports.
A USB control port is available on the front panel of the SMP 352 to support direct configuration from a PC. Alternatively, two USB ports on the rear of the unit are available for connection to a keyboard and mouse, to serve as the interface for a web browser that operates from the FlexOS platform. The browser can be viewed from the SMP 352 HDMI output connection and serves as a convenient method to access the SMP 352 embedded webpage.
Streaming and recording presets simplify control and management of the SMP 352. Source window layouts and encoding configurations both incorporate many parameter settings that would be challenging to manage independently. Up to sixteen different presets can be saved for source window layouts and sixteen presets can be saved for encoding configurations. They can be recalled easily from the front panel, embedded webpage, or an external control system when the SMP 352 is adapted to support different application requirements.
Powerful Tools for Scheduling, Monitoring, and Management
Recording schedules can be automatically updated by configuring the SMP 352 to integrate with Microsoft Exchange or periodically upload a centrally managed iCalendar file. Simple Network Management Protocol - SNMP traps, email and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - SMTP can be used to deliver messages to AV and IT support staff or monitoring systems when signal errors or encrypted sources are detected and when storage is near capacity, allowing proactive service to be initiated. Operational system data is logged continually, identifying recording sessions, storage directory use, file names, metadata, and storage capacity. This information provides valuable data for evaluating usage patterns and operating concerns.
Content Management and Publishing Options
The SMP 352 produces MP4 (M4V) media files with chapter marks, JPEG thumbnail images, and metadata supporting a data rich playback experience from Extron Media Player - EMP. It can be configured to integrate directly with the Opencast Matterhorn lecture capture AV content management system, commonly used by many higher education institutions or the Kaltura Hosted Video Platform. SMP 352 AV recordings can also be manually uploaded to third party content management systems such as iTunes-U, Blackboard LMS, SharePoint, CaptionSync, YouTube, Moodle, and RSS feeds.
The Extron Streaming Content Manager - SCM also manages media produced by the SMP 352 in impromptu recording sessions. It prepares the recorded data into a package of files for playback from the EMP; a browser-based player that offers an enhanced playback experience with advanced playback controls. SCM obtains user data from an organization"™s LDAP/AD network services to identify users and aid in the management of access rights. SCM provides a user portal for administrators and users to manage and access EMP recording packages.
Quality Multi-Source Audio Processing
The SMP 352 provides mixing and basic audio DSP features. The SMP 352 mixes the Channel A and B input signals based on the selected source layout and input configurations. Audio output signals are adjusted automatically during source switches to eliminate potential clicks, pops, or undesired effects, producing a quality audio experience without the need for external processing equipment.
The SMP 352 is ideal for use in virtually any professional environment where AV sources can be streamed live or recorded for future reference, especially when combining multiple AV sources will enhance the message. Streaming and recording AV presentations allows an organization to communicate and train employees and students that cannot be present at an event. Event recording provides everyone with the opportunity to review and gain insight into the live experience. The SMP 352 can be adapted to many applications, documenting virtually any meeting, conference, or activity that uses an AV source as a reference. The SMP 352 is ideal for use in corporate, education, government, healthcare, courtroom, house of worship, and rental and staging applications.
- Process two high resolution AV sources from up to five available input signals "” Size and position two AV source signals in layouts that maximize the viewing experience.
- Stream and record simultaneously "” Use the SMP 352 to document presentations and extend live streaming to overflow rooms or media servers. AV and IT staff can also view streaming in low resolution for support functions.
- Produces MP4 media files that are compatible with virtually any media player "” Use recordings produced by the SMP 352 directly with any software media player, computer or mobile device.
- Dual recording and streaming "” Independently records from two different video sources with independent archive stream settings for each channel.
- Audio mixing and advanced audio DSP "” Advanced audio DSP features offer control over audio levels, filtering, and dynamics for a quality audio experience without requiring the use of external mixing and DSP equipment.
- New RTMP streaming protocol supports popular third party hosting services - Available January 2017 "” Supports RTMP push streaming with stream name or key, and user authentication for services like YouTube Live, Wowza Streaming Cloud, Facebook Live, Ustream, and more.
- Flexible I/O ports for advanced AV system management - Install Extron FlexOS® applications onto the SMP 352 that interface with control ports and automate system operation.
- License-free operation contributes to a low cost of ownership - With no licensing or support fees, the SMP 352 is a cost effective solution for AV streaming and recording.
- Save recordings to internal solid state drive, external USB storage, or a defined network storage directory "” Recordings can be saved to pre-defined locations most convenient to users.
- Stream concurrently at two resolutions and bit rates - High resolutions and high bit rates deliver superior quality images for overflow applications and lower bit rates and resolutions are more efficient for streaming distribution and confidence viewing applications.
- Chapter and event marking with thumbnails viewable in Extron Media Player "” Chapters or events can be marked, and JPEG image thumbnails are produced that promote efficient searching and scanning from the Extron Media Player - EMP.
- Selectable thumbnail image size "” Thumbnails are captured at default size or can follow the resolution defined by the archive encoder settings.
- Record at 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1024x768, or 1280x1024 resolution "” Use standard video resolutions or computer resolutions based on content or viewing requirements.
- Stream at resolutions from 512x288 to 1080p/30 "” High resolutions deliver superior quality images for overflow applications and lower resolutions are more efficient for streaming distribution and confidence viewing applications.
- HDMI, component, composite, and optional 3G-SDI input "” Provides compatibility with common AV signal formats at resolutions up to 1920x1200 including 1080p/60. The SMP 352 3G-SDI model offers an additional 3G-SDI input connection.
- Easy to configure and operate from the front panel or external control system "” Ensures that presentations will be streamed and recorded and valuable information will be documented and repurposed.
- Window layout presets simplify control "” Sixteen standard and customized source layouts are available to be recalled quickly from the front panel or an external control system.
- Internal Solid State Storage "” Save recorded data to reliable, internal storage, before transferring it to external destinations. Up to eighty hours of material can be saved to internal storage using archive quality media encoded at 10 Mbps.
- Define specific storage destinations for recorded data "” Configure the SMP 352 to save recordings to specific storage directories based on the user environment or application requirements.
- Manage AV recordings using Extron Streaming Content Manager "” SCM prepares recording packages that offer an enhanced playback experience from the Extron Media Player "“ EMP. SCM manages users and groups, and transfers recording packages to a rights-managed storage directory.
- HDCP-compliant input and output signal management "” Encrypted signals can be viewed on compliant displays connected to the SMP 352 loop through, but cannot be streamed or recorded. The preview output presents the same content that is streamed or recorded and will not present encrypted content. A green signal and HDCP warning message are presented at non-compliant destinations.
- HDMI output with audio "” Presents a preview of the blended source layout that is recorded or streamed with mixed, HDMI-embedded stereo audio. Mixed analog stereo audio is also available.
- HDMI-embedded stereo audio or analog stereo input and output signal support "” Digital and analog audio signals are supported on the input channels and the output channel.
- Directly compatible with Opencast Matterhorn "” Integrate publishing of recorded media directly to the Opencast Matterhorn open source content management system.
- Direct compatibility with Kaltura Hosted Video Platform "” Integrate publishing of recorded media directly to the Kaltura Hosted Video Platform.
- Compatible with third party content management systems "” Manually upload recordings to systems such as iTunes-U, Blackboard LMS, SharePoint, CaptionSync, YouTube, Moodle, and RSS feed.
- Schedule streaming and recording using Microsoft Exchange "” Easily import schedules from Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Schedule streaming and recording using iCalendar "” Configure recording schedules on the SMP 352 by uploading iCalendar files manually or automatically.
- Uploadable Extron FlexOS® applications "” Upload applications that use four digital I/O ports to control and manage devices used in the AV presentation environment for recording or streaming applications.
- RS-232, Ethernet, and digital I/O control ports "” Interface with control systems, sensors, or external devices used in the AV presentation environment.
- Supports source resolutions up to 1920x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60 "” The SMP 352 supports a wide range of input resolutions, from standard definition up to the resolutions commonly used for computer video and HDTV.
- Standards-based H.264 / MPEG 4 AVC video compression "” The SMP 352 supports use of the Baseline, Main, or High Profiles at Levels 4.x, or 3.x providing the ability to optimize video coding for use with various types of applications and decoding devices.
- Channel A buffered input loop-through "” Channel A input connectors include a buffered loop-through, for easy integration into new or legacy systems without the need for additional AV equipment such as distribution amplifiers.
- Auto Image„¢ setup "” When activated, the unit automatically analyzes the incoming video signal and then automatically adjusts sizing, centering, and filtering to optimize image quality. This can save time and effort in fine tuning displayed images.
- Recording layout presets simplify control "” The SMP 352 provides 16 standard or customizable presets that specify the size and positioning of AV sources and metadata, simplifying management and selection of layouts from the front panel or an external control system.
- Encoding presets for quick recall of specific compression settings "” The SMP 352 provides 16 standard or customizable presets for saving specific encoding and streaming settings such as H.264 profile, resolution, GOP, bit rate session management configurations, transport protocols, destination addresses, and other network configurations. Users can quickly switch between these archive and confidence encoder presets to support different applications.
- Push and pull streaming session management "” The flexibility to apply push and pull streaming session management makes the SMP 352 compatible with a variety of H.264 devices and streaming applications.
- Pull streaming transport protocols "” RTP/RTSP, RTSP interleaved, and HTTP tunneled streaming transport protocols may be applied, based on various network conditions or to aid in firewall navigation.
- Push streaming transport protocols "” Native RTP, MPEG 2 Transport Streams - TS, or RTMP (Available Q1 2017) may be applied in unicast or multicast streaming applications. TS may be transported using UDP or RTP based on network conditions.
- Session Announcement Protocol - SAP and Session Description Protocol - SDP "” SAP and SDP protocols simplify identification of AV source streams in unicast or multicast push streaming applications.
- Adjustable recording and streaming bit rates "” Select video bit rates from 200 Kbps to 10 Mbps for video and audio bit rates from 16 Kbps to 384 Kbps based on the viewing application, storage, streaming or network conditions.
- Clean switching "” Switching has a clean transition between sources. Distractions such as visual jumps, glitches, and distortion commonly experienced when switching between computer and video sources will not be experienced when using the SMP 352.
- Recording metadata "” Metadata can be assigned to make indexing and searching of recordings simple including: Title, Creator, Subject, Description, Publisher, Contributor, and Date.
- Metadata text overlay "” Data concerning the recording can be presented and clearly identified on recording layouts with AV sources and a background image.
- Uploadable background image files "” Upload PNG image files at resolutions up to 1920x1080 to identify organizational or event information.
- On screen display information "” Present device information and status on source images to aid in troubleshooting and fault finding activities.
- Onscreen display video time reference "” Text displaying a time reference (HH:MM:SS Format) can be presented within the onscreen display in the top left corner of the output signal.
- Extended time recording "” Recordings that would produce a media file size greater than 4 GB are bundled into a recording package of sequential MP4 files. These MP4 files can be combined together in an editing system or played back in sequence from a processed Extron EMP package.
- User configurable recording file size "” Split recordings into specified files sizes.
- Automatic file management for internal storage "” Storage space is automatically created for new recordings when additional space is required. Files are deleted on a first-in, first-out basis. Important recordings can be locked and retained indefinitely until they are manually deleted.
- System workflow alarms "” Notify monitoring systems or support staff if disk space is low, encrypted signals are detected, AV signal errors occur, or other error conditions exist.
- Alarm reporting "” Automate communication with monitoring systems or support staff using email, SNMP traps, or Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - SMTP messages.
- AAC audio encoding "” Standards-based audio compression is used to provide compatibility with many devices. The bit rate can be adapted to different application requirements.
- Video encoding quality controls including video resolution, video bit rate, frame rate, constant or variable bit rate control, GOP length, and audio bit rate "” Several user controls are available to adjust encoding quality.
- Auto Input Memory "” When activated, the SMP 352 automatically stores size, position, and picture settings based on the incoming signal. When the same signal is detected again, these image settings are automatically recalled from memory.
- EDID Minder® automatically manages EDID communication between connected devices "” EDID Minder automatically manages EDID communications between devices, ensuring use of optimal signal formats.
- Audio input gain and attenuation "” Gain or attenuation can be adjusted for each input signal to eliminate noticeable differences when switching between sources, or adjusting audio levels for the output stream.
- Picture controls for brightness, contrast, signal sampling, and overscan "” Sixteen user memory presets are available for each input to store all image settings.
- Aspect ratio control "” The aspect ratio of a source window can be controlled by selecting a FILL mode, which provides a full screen output, FOLLOW mode, which preserves the aspect ratio, or FIT mode, which maintains image uniformity and zooms into the source.
- HDCP authentication and signal presence confirmation "” Provides real-time verification of HDCP status for each digital video input and output signal. This allows for easy signal and HDCP verification through RS-232 or Ethernet, providing valuable feedback to a system operator or helpdesk support staff.
- HDCP Visual Confirmation provides a green signal when encrypted content is sent to a non-compliant display "” A full-screen green signal is sent when HDCP-encrypted content is transmitted to a non-HDCP compliant display, providing immediate visual confirmation that protected content cannot be viewed on the display.
- Quad standard video decoding "” The SMP 352 uses a digital, five-line adaptive comb filter to decode NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43, PAL, and SECAM for integration into systems worldwide.
- Internal test patterns for setup "” The SMP 352 offers test patterns as well as on-screen display - OSD data overlay including timestamp, number of connected users, CPU usage, network status, disk free file space, audio level, and system information to aid in calibration and setup.
- Front panel lockout "” This feature locks out either all front panel functions, Menu functions only, or all but recording transport controls. All functions are available through Ethernet, USB, and RS-232 control.
- Ethernet monitoring and control "” The SMP 352 is controllable over Ethernet, supporting configuration and real-time management from a control system.
- Embedded Web interface "” The SMP 352 provides an intuitive Web interface with an embedded video window for viewing the live stream, as well as source input and encoding adjustments.
- RS-232 control port "” Enables the use of serial commands for integration into a control system. Extron products use the SIS„¢ - Simple Instruction Set command protocol, a set of basic ASCII commands that allow for quick and easy programming.
- USB keyboard and mouse ports "” Configure communication settings of the SMP 352 and system settings using a keyboard and mouse viewing the embedded webpage from the HDMI output connection.
- Includes LockIt® HDMI cable lacing brackets
- Rack-mountable 1U, full rack width metal enclosure
- Internal universal power supply "” The 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, international power supply provides worldwide power compatibility.